Subject: Re: LW 3.5 & Gfx Boards
From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 94 09:51:38 EDT

> Anyone out there with LW 3.5???!
> Please report back if it supports the EGS graphics standard.

Now that it is shipping, here is my exeperience with it. LW 3.5 with the
Toaster is rather flakey when operating in a screen promoted mode. I was
able to crash it without a great deal of stress. However, the 3.5 standalone
version was far more robust with EGS. I have run it in both 800x600 and
1024x768 using ESP as the promoter without a problem from LightWave thus
far. But.....Modeler is nowhere near as cooperative. Modeler locks up the
system with almost no effort under promoted EGS screenmodes. If anyone else
has different results, I would like to hear about it ASAP. BTW, the current
method for running in the higher res modes is to have ESP running, and then
select a higher res display from the LightWave options menu. Oh, I forgot
to mention, animated previews do not work in the promoted EGS screen modes.

> I know that 3.2 handled Picasso, and there are rumors about egs support
> in the 3.5 version....

The interface portion is generic and should conceivably work with any board
that gives higher res screen modes. But for rendering your output, the
current options are limited to: None, Toaster, HAM6, HAM8, and Picasso.
So if you are using an EGS board, you would select None and save an RGB file
which you can view with any EGS IFF viewer.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~